West Mesa High School
6701 Fortuna Rd NW
Albuquerque, NM 87121
- Phone (505) 831-6993
- Fax (505) 836-7756
Dear West Mesa Community,
We are sincerely excited to welcome you back and grateful to have you in the West Mesa school family. Together we can make sure our students get the academic, emotional, and community support they need to succeed in high school, college, career, and life.
To help make that happen, we asked our experts to put together a list of ways to help get the 2021/22 school year off to a strong start. Ready? Here we go!
- Keep an up to date ParentVUE account at mystudent.aps.edu. Students are also encouraged to sign up for StudentVUE. Another option is to download the free app. It’s a great tool for checking grades, attendance, class assignments and more. Get more information at APS.edu.
- Planners also are great tools for helping students stay organized. Every student was given a West Mesa Student Handbook/ planner. Check with your child on a regular basis to make sure he/she is turning in homework, completing projects and preparing for tests. Reach out to a teacher or counselor if your child is having trouble staying on top of assignments.
- Encourage your teen to join a club or try out for a team. Extracurricular activities are great for making friends and look good on job and college resumes.
- Check your school’s website for information on bell schedules, activities, open houses, menus, services and more. You can find our school’s web site by going to westmesa.aps.edu.
- Discuss personal and school safety with your student. Any time a student sees a suspicious person on campus or encounters a person who is being disruptive, they are asked to contact a police or safety officer or administrator. We take seriously every threat or rumor of a threat to students, staff or school. We conduct immediate investigations and take necessary disciplinary action. In addition, the FBI has announced that it will prosecute anyone who makes a false threat of school violence.
- Understand what it takes for your student to graduate. Graduation requirements are posted at aps.edu/schools/graduation-requirements.
- Check with the school College and Career counselor about scholarship opportunities.
- Internet access is critical to school work. If you don’t have internet access at home, talk with Norma Solis in our Family Resource Center. We may be able to help.
- If your child has a cell phone, make sure he/she knows the school’s rules for using it including social media.
- Students do better in school when they have a healthy breakfast and lunch. All of our students qualify for free breakfast and lunch.
- Make sure your student gets to school on time. Running late can be stressful. Many students find it helps to prepare for the school day the night before.
- Students need to be in class to learn, so try to schedule doctor appointments, family vacations and other non-academic activities after school or on days off.
- West Mesa is a closed campus. We are not allowing food to be delivered during the school day such as Uber eats.
- Finally, we have a few phone numbers you may want to keep on hand for future reference.
- Main School 505.831.6993
- School Nurse 505.831.6993 ext. 57042
- School Counselor 505.831.6993 ext. 57306
- Student Transportation. 505.880.3989
- Student Service Center. 505.855.9040
- Family Resource Center 505.831.6993 ext. 57015
- APS Police 505.243.7712
We are here to support our high schoolers and their families. Together we can help our students earn a high school diploma and the promise of a happy, successful life.
Let’s make the 2023-2024 the best school year yet!
West Mesa High School